ISPN Member Spotlight
The AAN is the American Academy of Nursing, the pinnacle of nursing work.
The organization is concerned with nursing practice and health policy and writes position papers, policy briefs and sponsors the journal Nursing Outlook. Here is the URL if you want to know more: http://www.aannet.org
We had 4 ISPN members inducted this year - all leaders in ISPN: Ukamaka Oreche, Lora Beebe, Cheryl Giscombe, Beth Bonham.
• Dr. Ukamaka Oruche
, with the Dean of Indiana University School of Nursing Dr. Robin Newhouse, published a podcast on how the IU
School of Nursing is helping to address the mental health provider crisis in Indiana. Click on the link below to hear their conversation.
• Dr. Victoria Soltis-Jarrett
, Past President of ISPN (2011-2013) and Ross Distinguished Professor and Coordinator of the PMHNP
Program at UNC- Chapel Hill, was awarded a $1.1 million grant from Human Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) to advance
mental health nursing in rural areas of North Carolina. Dr. Soltis-Jarrett and her colleagues will educate 12 new primary care nurse
practitioners (NP) to implement integrated (mind/body) health care for patients in NC's rural and underserved counties. Click on the link
below for more information about this grant.
• Congratulations to Dr. Jane Neese.
The spotlight is on Dr. Jane Neese, North Carolina, who is also a member of the ISPN Nominating Committee. Read more...
• Dr. Theodora Sirota
has accepted a position as Associate Dean in the School of Health and Natural Sciences and Chair of the Nursing Department, University of Saint Joseph, West Hartford, CT.
• ISPN congratulates Joyce J. Fitzpatrick, PhD, MBA, RN, FAAN
, on being named a Living Legend by the American Academy of Nursing. Dr. Fitzpatrick is the editor of ISPN's journal Archives of Psychiatric Nursing.
• Dr. Jill Bormann
, ISPN member and currently the Associate Chief Nurse for Research at the VA in La Jolla, CA has spent decades
researching the impact on Mantram (a technique or mindfulness) on PTSD, Healthcare staff, wellness etc. Oprah picked her research
and profiled it in the August edition of "O" magazine. Dr. Bormann presented her work at ISPN's 2015 conference. Kudos to Dr. Bormann
for recognition of her research and success!
6/5/16 - 7/28/16
• Andrea Kwasky DNP, PMHNP-BC, PMHCN received a Nightingale Award as Distinguished Faculty from Oakland University in May,
• Evelyn Parrish PhD, APRN-BC, ISPN Past President (2013-2014) was named Editor in Chief of the journal, Perspectives in Psychiatric
• Ukamaka Oruche MSN, RN, CNS, PhD was appointed to the Indiana State Mental and Behavioral Health Workforce Task Force. The
group will make recommendations to the Governors Health Workforce Council.
• Barbara Frechette DNP, PMHNP, FCN presented her paper, Hurtology: An Online Course at the 3rd Pediatric Nursing Association of
Europe (PNAE) Congress in Porto, Portugal May 2016.
• Edilma Yearwood PhD, PMHCNS-BC, FAAN and Sally Raphel MS, APRN/PMH,FAAN presented their paper, Leading Nursing
Educational Progress in Child Mental Health, at the 3rd PNAE Congress on Pediatric Nursing in Porto, Portugal May 2016.
• Geraldine S. Pearson PMH-CNS, PHD, FAAN, ISPN Past President (2006-2009), was appointed Editor in Chief of the Journal of the
American Psychiatric Nurses Association.
• Cheryl Woods Giscombe PhD, PMHNP-BC was named a Macy Faculty Scholar from The Josiah Macy Jr. Foundation and is the director
of the Interprofessional Institute for Mental Health Equity, the project she developed as a Macy Scholar. In addition, Dr. Woods Giscombe
was a Scholar in the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Nurse Faculty Scholars Program.
• Nancy Fowler, PMHNP, practicing at the Isaac Ray Center, Inc. in Chicago, IL was promoted to Psychiatric Services Administrator at the
• Mary Weber PhD, PMHNP-BC, FAANP will be inducted as a new Fellow of the American Academy of Nursing in October, 2016.
• Marian Newton PhD, RN, CS, PMHNP, ANEF was inducted into the National League for Nursing Academy of Nursing Education.
Additionally, Dr. Newton was selected as one of the 60 Gator Nurse Greats in honor of the University of Florida College of Nursing's 60th
anniversary, recognizing 60 outstanding alumni who exemplify the ideals of the College's tri-partite motto "Care, Lead, Inspire."
• Pamela Galehouse PhD, RN, PMHCNS-BC presented her paper, Supporting the Behavioral Health of Children: Temperament Based
Interventions to Support Development and Reduce Risk, at the 3rd PNAE Congress on Pediatric Nursing in Porto, Portugal May 2016.