Articles of Interest
Constantly revolving news reports, articles and updates! This is where all the latest ISPN news is posted. Check back often!
- ISPN's position paper on the use of restraint and seclusion is referenced in a new report, "Strategies
to De-escalate Aggressive Behavior in Psychiatric Patients," from the Agency for Health Care Research and Quality (AHRQ).
- October 10, 2015, was World Mental Health Day. The theme is: Dignity in Mental Health
ISPN joins with organizations
all over the world, including The World Federation for Mental Health (WFMH) and the World Health Organization (WHO), in raising awareness of what can be done to ensure
that people with mental health problems can live with dignity.
Here are some suggested things YOU can do (from the WFMH):
- Please share "What Dignity Means to You" via email@example.com. A selection of
your responses will be posted on the ISPN website (with permission, of course!).
- Host a small "in-service" with fellow nurses to educate them on recent information and discuss what they can do to improve the
treatment of mental health consumers.
- Gather nurses and patients together to work on a plan of action to create a better environment and help preserve dignity.
- Hold a reception, a party, a march, a simple gathering during lunch-anything to bring people together to talk about the theme this year.
- Spread the word.
If you do something to celebrate and acknowledge Dignity in Mental Health on Oct. 10, please let your ISPN Board know.
We are on a mission to be more globally aware and form alliances with other global organizations.
- LACE - Licensure, Accreditation, Credentialing, and Education
Role Core Competencies for LACE Model
- ISPN member, Linda Jo Volness, MS, RN, featured in Medscape Article
A recent article posted on Medscape, Bipolar Disorder and ADHD in Children: Confusion and Comorbidity, by L A Stokowski
includes an interview with Linda Jo Volness. We all know Linda Jo from the many excellent papers she has presented at ISPN Annual Conferences. We have been working
with Medscape to feature the work of our presenters in Medscape, so we are pleased to see this article and a mention of ISPN at the conclusion of the piece.
To view the article you can click on this link: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/711223
You may be asked to join Medscape, but joining has
no charge attached.
- Essential Psychiatric, Mental Health and Substance Use Competencies for the Generalist Nurse
AAN PMH Essentials Introduction - May 2009 (PDF 59K)
AAN PMH Essentials I-IX Complete - May 2009 (PDF 1.9M )
Health Care Reform and the Whole Health Campaign: National Perspective from Dr. Ronald Manderscheid - May 2009 (PPT 1.3M)
Whole Health Campaign - May 2009 (PDF 670K)
Ron Manderscheid, PhD, Resources - May 2009 (Word .doc 39K)
- Reparative Therapy Position Paper - April 2009 (PDF 202K)
- The Future of Children.org
- Global Perspectives on Mental Health -
April 2008 (PDF 782K)
Silvina Malvαrez, Regional Advisor on Nursing and Allied Health Professions, Pan American Health Organization
- ANCC Advanced Practice Credentials Changing - effective
January 2008 (PDF 73K)
Essentials of Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing in the BSN Curriculum August 2005 (PDF 176K)
- NIMH/NINR Mentorship Program: Building the Capacity of Psychiatric-Mental Health Nurse Researchers
- ANCC FAQs - October 2000 (PDF 36K)
- Update on the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) Psychiatric and Mental Health Nurse
Practitioner Exam Development - September 2008 (PDF 113K)
- Update on ANCC Change in Required Clinical Practice Hours - 2008 (PDF 76K)
- Network for the National Initiative: New Directions for Student Support
Not Waiting for the ESEA Reauthorization - January 2008 (PDF 54K)
- International Forum Editor, Martin Ward, Oxford UK
Journal of Child and Adolescent Psychiatric Nursing
Perspectives in Psychiatric Care
Archives of Psychiatric Nursing
PDF downloadable documents are viewable with the latest FREE Adobe Acrobat Reader. If you don't already have it, just follow this link or click the "Get Acrobat Reader" graphic to the Adobe Systems site. Download the Acrobat Reader to your hard drive.
Double-click the icon and follow the onscreen instructions to install.